FLORIDA PUERTO RICAN PARADE, INC. SCHOLARSHIP FUND PROGRAM
The Florida Puerto Rican Parade, Inc. (FLPRP), Scholarship Fund Program Committee organized in 2016 is a 501 © (3) charitable organization instituted to provide financial support for students entering or already in a college institution. It is the goal of FLPRP to offer a limited number of scholarships to qualified students each year based upon financial need, scholastic merit, leadership achievements and other factors.
Generous contributors such as: Corporate and Business entities, Community Organizations and individuals are encourage to participate in helping us raise scholarships funding that will assist students reach their educational goals. We look forward to an ever expanding list of partners that will support this program for many years to come.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE?
- Demonstrate potential for academic and leadership success within the community
- Indicate extracurricular activities including but not limited to sports and community activities.
- Show academic performance (minimum unweighted 3.0 grade point average)
- Be high school seniors or currently attending college in Florida, or technical college.
- Plan to enroll in a full time accredited college or university;
- Complete a 1,000 word essay in Spanish or English in one of the following prompts:
- ¿Cuál ha sido la contribución del pueblo puertorriqueño en la Florida central en términos culturales, sociales y políticos?
- ¿Qué tienen en común y que hace diferentes el éxodo de puertorriqueños a Nueva York durante la segunda mitad del siglo XX y el éxodo actual a Florida?
- ¿Cuáles retos han tenido que enfrentar los puertorriqueños que se han mudado a Florida y cómo estos les han ayudado en su crecimiento como individuos?
In addition to those not meeting these criteria, the following individuals and members of their immediate families are ineligible for the awards:
- Relatives of FLPRP Board members.
- Relatives or employees of any partner, sponsors or affiliates of FLPRP.
WHEN TO APPLY?
Qualified candidates may apply from February 28 to March 28 of each year. Candidates must complete the application and all of its components before the deadline. Deadline extensions and incomplete applications will not be accepted and will be disqualified.
HOW TO APPLY?
Candidates are responsible for gathering and submitting all required information. This is a competitive program. Applications will be evaluated on the basis of the information supplied.
HOW ARE RECIPIENTS SELECTED?
Applicants will be evaluated on their academic and leadership qualities in school, workplace and community. Semifinalists will be notified by mail. This is a competitive program and not all applicants will be selected as semifinalists and not all semifinalists will receive a scholarship.
Semifinalists will be required to submit the following documents within 7 days notification of their selection:
- Current complete transcript of high school, college or university grades;
- Nomination form completed by a teacher, academic counselor or a high school principal.
DETAILS ABOUT THE AWARDS
- Awards will be granted each year
- Awards will not exceed $2,000 each year
- Awards are renewable and may be used for a period of two consecutive years
- Awards are for undergraduate and graduate studies and may be used for education related expenses, including tuition, fees, books, supplies, room and board.
- Recipients are responsible for taxes that may be assessed against the scholarship award. Applicants should consult a tax advisor or IRS Publication 970 for more guidance.
HOW AND WHEN SCHOLARSHIPS ARE PAID?
- Checks will be issued at the Puerto Rican Parade Gala Night.
- Checks are made payable to the student.
- Recipients must submit a completed Scholarship Acceptance Form before checks are processed.
- Recipients are required to notify FLPRP of any change in address, school enrollment or other relevant information and to send a complete transcript when requested.
- Recipients and their parents will be invited to attend the scholarship awards ceremony.
- Recipients must enroll as a full or part time undergraduate or graduate student in Florida and continue for the entire academic year without interruption unless approved by the FLPRP.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
FLPRP reserves the right to review the conditions and procedures of this scholarship program and to make changes at any time, including termination of the program.