Scholarships Fund Program
The Florida Puerto Rican Parade, Inc. (FLPRP), is a 501 © (3) non-profit charitable organization established in 2016 to promote the Puerto Rican community culture, heritage, and contributions to the State of Florida. The Scholarships Fund Program Committee was created to identify and provide financial support to students entering or already in a college institution. It is the goal of FLPRP to offer scholarships to qualified students each year based upon financial need, scholastic merit, leadership achievements, and other factors.
Generous contributors such as; Corporate and Business entities, Community Organizations and individuals help us raise scholarships funding to assist students to reach their educational goals. We look forward to an ever expanding list of partners that will support this program for many years to come.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE?
- Demonstrate potential for academic and leadership success within the community
- Indicate extracurricular activities including but not limited to sports and community activities.
- Show academic performance (minimum unweighted 3.0-grade point average)
- Be high school seniors or currently attending college in Florida, or technical college.
- Plan to enroll in a full time accredited college or university;
- Complete a 1,000 word essay in Spanish or English in one of the following prompts:
-¿Cuál es el impacto de la movilización de profesionales de la salud puertorriqueños a los Estados Unidos? ¿Incluye la repercusión en Puerto Rico y en los Estados Unidos?
-¿Qué programas, servicios o iniciativas se deberían implementar en la Florida para contribuir al mejoramiento de la salud de los puertorriqueños? Incluye los obstáculos que enfrentan en la Florida en términos de prevención para la salud.
-Analiza la dieta tradicional del puertorriqueño. ¿Cuáles son los retos y las oportunidades de la variedad de sus alimentos típicos?
-La salud mental es determinante en la vida de un individuo. ¿Cómo puede verse afectada la conducta de un joven puertorriqueño al relocalizarse en Estados Unidos? ¿Qué recomendaciones puedes ofrecer para mantener la estabilidad emocional de estos jóvenes durante esta etapa?
-¿Después de relocalizarse en la Florida debido a una situación de salud, qué retos y/o situaciones positivas ocurren en la vida de un estudiante puertorriqueño?
Please Note: In addition to individuals not meeting the above criteria, the following individuals and members of their immediate families are ineligible for the awards:
- Relatives of FLPRP Board members.
- Relatives or employees of any partner, sponsors or affiliates of FLPRP.
WHEN TO APPLY?
Qualified candidates may apply from February 15th to March 30th of each year. Candidates must complete the application form and all of its components before the deadline. Deadline extensions and incomplete applications will not be accepted and will be disqualified.
HOW TO APPLY
Candidates are responsible for gathering and submitting all required information. This is a competitive program. Applications will be evaluated on the basis of the information supplied. Applications are to be returned to our email provided on our website on the scholarship link.
HOW ARE RECIPIENTS SELECTED?
Applicants will be evaluated on their academic and leadership qualities in school, workplace, and community. Semifinalists will be notified by mail. This is a competitive program and all applicants will not be selected as semifinalists and not all semi-finalists will receive a scholarship.
Semifinalists will be required to submit the following documents within 7 days notification of their selection:
- The current complete transcript of high school, college or university grades;
- Nomination form ? completed by a teacher or academic counselor, or ? a high school principal, or a community leader or elected officials.
DETAILS ABOUT THE AWARDS
- Awards will be granted each year
- Awards will not exceed $2,000 each year
- Awards are renewable and may be used for a period of two consecutive years
- Awards are for undergraduate and graduate studies and may be used for education-related expenses, including tuition, fees, books, supplies, room, and board.
- Recipients are responsible for taxes that may be assessed against the scholarship award. Applicants should consult a tax advisor or IRS Publication 970 for more guidance.
HOW AND WHEN SCHOLARSHIPS ARE PAID?
- Checks will be issued at the Puerto Rican Parade Gala Night.
- Checks are made payable to the student.
- Recipients must submit a completed Scholarship Acceptance Form before checks are processed.
- Recipients are required to notify FLPRP of any change in address, school enrollment or other relevant information and to send a complete transcript when requested.
- Recipients and their parents will be invited to attend the scholarship awards ceremony.
- Recipients must enroll as a full or part-time undergraduate or graduate student in Florida and continue for the entire academic year without interruption unless approved by the FLPRP.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
FLPRP reserves the right to review the conditions and procedures of this scholarship program and to make changes at any time, including termination of the program.