Scholarships Fund Program
The Florida Puerto Rican Parade, Inc. (FLPRP), is a 501 © (3) non-profit charitable organization established in 2016 to promote the Puerto Rican community culture, values, heritage, and contributions to the State of Florida. The Scholarships Fund Program Committee was created to identify and provide financial support to students entering or already in a college institution. It is the goal of FLPRP to offer scholarships to qualified students each year based upon financial need, scholastic merit, leadership achievements, and other factors.
Generous contributors such as; Corporate and Business entities, Community Organizations and individuals help us raise scholarships funding to assist students to reach their educational goals. We look forward to an ever expanding list of partners that will support this program for many years to come.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE?
- Demonstrate potential for academic and leadership success within the community
- Indicate extracurricular activities including but not limited to sports and community activities
- Show academic performance (minimum unweighted 3.0-grade point average)
- Be high school seniors or currently attending college in Florida, or technical college
- Plan to enroll in a full time accredited college or university;
- Complete a 1,000-words essay in Spanish or English in one of the following prompts:
- During the Covid-19 pandemic in Central Florida, the community faced a lot of challenges but also opportunities. What have you learned during these challenging times and how will this experience impact your future?
Durante la pandemia del Covid-19 en Florida Central, la comunidad ha enfrentado muchos retos/desafíos, pero también oportunidades. ¿Qué has aprendido durante este tiempo de retos y cómo esta experiencia impactará tu futuro?
- During this era of crisis, due to COVID-19 our community has been affected economically and psychologically. How has the pandemic in central Florida affected your life and how will this experience affect your future?
Durante esta era de crisis, debido al COVID-19 nuestra comunidad ha sido afectada económicamente y psicológicamente. ¿Cómo esta pandemia en Florida central ha afectado tu vida y cómo esta experiencia afectará tu futuro?
- During the coronavirus epidemic in Central Florida, the imposition of social distancing influenced many aspects of our families, society and businesses. How has this crisis impacted your life, your family and the society in central Florida? What are your recommendations to the Central Florida Government in order to overcome the negative impact of the Pandemic?
Durante la epidemia del coronavirus en Florida Central, la imposición del distanciamiento social ha influenciado muchos aspectos de nuestras familias, sociedad y comercios/negocios. ¿Cómo esta crisis ha impactado tu vida, tu familia y la sociedad en la Florida Central? ¿Cuáles son tus recomendaciones para el gobierno en la Florida Central con el fin de sobrepasar el impacto negativo de la pandemia?
- Many Puerto Ricans moved to Central Florida to start a new life after the impact of the earthquakes. Upon their arrival many had to face another challenge; quarantine. Describe the unique disadvantages and challenges they faced during this time different from those who were already settled in Central Florida? What do you believe should be the responsibilities of the Puerto Rican Diaspora and the government with these recent arrivals?
Muchos puertorriqueños se mudaron a Florida para comenzar una nueva vida después del impacto de los temblores/terremotos. Tan pronto a su llegada han tenido que afrontar otro reto/desafío, la cuarentena. ¿Qué retos/desafíos y desventajas únicas han tenido que enfrentar durante este tiempo, diferente a los puertorriqueños que ya estaban establecidos en Florida Central? ¿Qué tú crees deben ser las responsabilidades de los puertorriqueños de la diáspora y del gobierno con los puertorriqueños recién llegados?
- En estos momentos de necesidad todas las personas que trabajan con los servicios esenciales de salud son importantes y necesarias. ¿Qué piensas debe ser una manera responsable de apoyar y cuidar a esos ciudadanos que están exponiendo su vida diariamente? ¿Qué sugerencias le darías al gobierno para protegerlos y que puedan seguir ofreciendo sus servicios que son tan importantes ahora y en el futuro?
Please Note: In addition to individuals not meeting the above criteria, the following individuals and members of their immediate families are ineligible for the awards:
- Relatives of FLPRP Board members.
- Relatives or employees of any partner, sponsors or affiliates of FLPRP.
WHEN TO APPLY?
Qualified candidates may apply until August 22nd of 2021. Candidates must complete the application form and all of its components before the deadline. Deadline extensions and incomplete applications will not be accepted and will be disqualified.
HOW TO APPLY
Candidates are responsible for gathering and submitting all required information. This is a competitive program. Applications will be evaluated on the basis of the information supplied. Applications are to be returned to our email provided on our website on the scholarship link.
HOW ARE RECIPIENTS SELECTED?
Applicants will be evaluated on their academic and leadership qualities in school, workplace, and community. Semifinalists will be notified by email and a phone call. This is a competitive program and all applicants will not be selected as semifinalists and not all semi-finalists will receive a scholarship.
Semifinalists will be required to submit the following documents within 7 days’ notification of their selection:
- The current complete transcript of high school, college or university grades;
- Nomination form completed by a teacher or academic counselor, or a high school principal.
- For colleague students – professor or counselor can complete the nomination form.
DETAILS ABOUT THE AWARDS
- Awards will be granted each year
- Awards will not exceed $2,000 each year
- Awards may be renewable and used for a period of no more than two consecutive years
- Awards are for undergraduate and graduate studies and may be used for education-related expenses, including tuition, fees, books, supplies, room, and board.
- Recipients are responsible for taxes that may be assessed against the scholarship award. Applicants should consult a tax advisor or IRS Publication 970 for more guidance.
HOW AND WHEN SCHOLARSHIPS ARE PAID?
- Checks will be issued at the Puerto Rican Parade Gala/Scholarships awards presentation.
- Checks are made payable to the student.
- Recipients must submit a completed Scholarship Acceptance Form before checks are processed.
- Recipients are required to notify FLPRP of any change in address, school enrollment or other relevant information and to send a complete transcript when requested.
- Recipients will be invited to attend the scholarship awards ceremony.
- Recipients must enroll as a full or part-time undergraduate or graduate student and continue for the entire academic year without interruption unless approved by the FLPRP.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
FLPRP reserves the right to review the conditions and procedures of this scholarship program and to make changes at any time, including termination of the program.
Join us on September 16th, 2021 as we celebrate our annual Gala Awards Dinner! This year we will dedicate the parade and festival to the beautiful towns of Moca and Cabo Rojo. We will savor a delicious traditional dinner while enjoying entertainment provided by special guests from our beloved Puerto Rico! In addition to the towns we are Honoring our First Responders and Essential Workers! Don’t miss out on this highly anticipated night!
Date: Thursday September 16, 2021
7pm Awards Dinner and Scholarships Presentations
Location: Double Tree by Hilton At SeaWorld 101000 International Drive, Orlando Fl 32821
Tickets: $125 per person ($4 transaction fee will be added to payments made through PayPal)
Stay with us at the DoubleTree by Hilton At SeaWorld! Discount rates available! Please use the following link to book your reservation or call 1-800-HILTONS (1-800-327-0363) and use the Promo Code FPP!