Scholarships Fund Program 2024
The Florida Puerto Rican Parade, Inc. (FLPRP), is a 501 © (3) non-profit charitable organization established in 2016 to promote the Puerto Rican community culture, values, heritage, and contributions to the State of Florida. The Scholarships Fund Program Committee was created to identify and provide financial support to students entering or already in a college institution. It is the goal of FLPRP to offer scholarships to qualified students each year based on financial need, scholastic merit, leadership, achievements, and other factors.
Generous contributors from; Corporate and Business entities, Community Organizations, and individuals help raise scholarship funding to assist students to reach their educational goals. We look forward to an ever-expanding list of partners that will support this program for many years to come.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE?
- Demonstrate potential for academic and leadership success within the community
- Indicate extracurricular activities including but not limited to sports and community activities
- Show academic performance (minimum unweighted 3.0 grade point average)
- Be high school seniors, GED recipients or currently attending college, technical college, or university in Florida
- Plan to enroll in a full-time accredited college or university;
- Complete a 1,000-word essay in Spanish or English in one of the following prompts:
- What role does education play in preparing individuals to become informed and active citizens, and how can we enhance civic education within our community?
¿Qué papel juega la educación en la preparación de las personas para que se conviertan en ciudadanos informados y activos, y cómo podemos mejorar la educación cívica dentro de nuestra comunidad?
2. How can we ensure that more community members actively participate in the electoral process?
Emphasize the importance of voter registration as a fundamental step in civic engagement. Discuss strategies and initiatives to increase voter registration within the Puerto Rican community.
¿Cómo podemos asegurar que más miembros de la comunidad participen activamente en el proceso electoral?
Enfatiza la importancia de la inscripción de votantes como un paso fundamental en el compromiso cívico. Discute estrategias e iniciativas para aumentar la inscripción de votantes dentro de la comunidad puertorriqueña.
3. What are the main obstacles that may discourage people from participating in community activities, voting, or pursuing public office, and what strategies can be implemented to overcome these barriers?
¿Cuáles son los principales obstáculos que pueden desalentar a las personas de participar en actividades comunitarias, votar u ocupar cargos públicos, y qué estrategias se pueden implementar para superar estas barreras?
4. Highlight the significance of involving younger generations in community and political activities. Share effective strategies for inspiring and empowering young individuals to become active participants in shaping our community’s future.
Resalta la importancia de involucrar a las generaciones más jóvenes en las actividades comunitarias y políticas. Comparte estrategias efectivas para inspirar y empoderar a los jóvenes para que se conviertan en participantes activos en la configuración del futuro de nuestra comunidad.
5. Address the challenges of language and cultural differences that may hinder engagement. How can we promote initiatives that bridge these gaps and promote inclusivity within our community, ensuring that everyone has an equal opportunity to participate in civic activities?
Aborda los desafíos del idioma y las diferencias culturales que pueden obstaculizar el compromiso.
¿Cómo podemos promover iniciativas que cierren estas brechas y promuevan la inclusión dentro de nuestra comunidad, asegurando que todos tengan las mismas oportunidades de participar en actividades cívicas?
Please Note: In addition to individuals not meeting the above criteria, the following individuals and members of their immediate families are ineligible for the awards:
- Relatives of the FLPRP Board
- Relatives or employees of any partner, sponsors, or affiliates of sponsors.
WHEN TO APPLY?
Qualified candidates may apply until February 9, 2024.
Candidates must complete the application form and all of its components before the deadline. Deadline extensions and incomplete applications will not be accepted and will be disqualified.
HOW TO APPLY
Candidates are responsible for gathering and submitting all required information. This is a competitive program. Applications will be evaluated on the basis of the information supplied. Applications are to be returned to the email provided in our website scholarship link.
- Scholarship award recipients are not eligible to repeat in future years.
HOW ARE RECIPIENTS SELECTED?
Applicants will be evaluated on their academic and leadership qualities in school, workplace, and community. Semifinalists will be notified by email and phone call. This is a competitive program and all applicants will not be selected as semifinalists and not all semi-finalists will receive a scholarship.
Semifinalists will be required to submit the following documents within 7 days of notification of their selection:
- The current complete transcript of high school, college, or university grades.
- Nomination form completed by a teacher or academic counselor, or high school principal.
- For college students – professors or counselors can complete the nomination.
DETAILS ABOUT THE AWARDS
- Awards will be granted one year.
- Awards will not exceed $2,000 per year.
- Awards are for undergraduate and graduate studies and may be used for education-related expenses, including tuition, fees, books, supplies, room, and board.
- Recipients are responsible for taxes that may be assessed against the scholarship award. Applicants should consult a tax advisor or IRS Publication 970 for more guidance.
HOW AND WHEN SCHOLARSHIPS ARE PAID?
- Checks will be issued at the Puerto Rican Parade Gala/Scholarships awards presentation.
- Checks are made payable to the student.
- Recipients must submit a completed Scholarship Acceptance Form before checks are processed.
- Recipients are required to notify FLPRP of any change in address, school enrollment, or other relevant information and to send a complete transcript when requested.
- Recipients will be invited to attend the gala/scholarship awards ceremony; guests are welcome at a discounted cost.
- Recipients must enroll as full or part-time undergraduate or graduate students and continue for the entire academic year without interruption unless approved by the FLPRP.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
FLPRP reserves the right to review the conditions and procedures of this scholarship program and to make changes at any time, including termination of the program.
Letters of appreciation
Good afternoon! I wanted to Thank you for the great honor of choosing me to receive the award and scholarship of the Florida Puerto Rican Parade and the Roberto Clemente Foundation with Bank of America. I cannot find enough words to express my gratitude and happiness in receiving the award at the Gala of the Parade, where I have been participating since it opened and where it is a privilege of participating alongside the Board and the Community. I will have all of you in my thoughts and close to my heart when I graduate in a few weeks from Orlando Science High School and at the same time complete my first year of Early College Admission at UCF, as I continue my studies in Medicine as a future Neurologist.
Thank you very much for this Magnificent Award and Scholarship. I cannot believe that I was chosen to receive this amazing honor. It is something that I will remember and cherish for the rest of my life.