Scholarships Fund Program
The Florida Puerto Rican Parade, Inc. (FLPRP), is a 501 © (3) non-profit charitable organization established in 2016 to promote the Puerto Rican community culture, values, heritage, and contributions to the State of Florida. The Scholarships Fund Program Committee was created to identify and provide financial support to students entering or already in a college institution. It is the goal of FLPRP to offer scholarships to qualified students each year based upon financial need, scholastic merit, leadership, achievements, and other factors.
Generous contributors from; Corporate and Business entities, Community Organizations and individuals help raise scholarships funding to assist students to reach their educational goals. We look forward to an ever expanding list of partners that will support this program for many years to come.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE?
- Demonstrate potential for academic and leadership success within the community
- Indicate extracurricular activities including but not limited to sports and community activities
- Show academic performance (minimum unweighted 3.0-grade point average)
- Be high school seniors, GED recipients or currently attending college, technical college or university in Florida
- Plan to enroll in a full time accredited college or university;
- Complete a 1,000-words essay in Spanish or English in one of the following prompts:
- Which are the challenges and privileges facing Puerto Rican students within the mainland educational system? As the result of these challenges and privileges, what would be your advice to young students that want to relocate and study in the mainland?
¿Cuáles son los retos y privilegios que enfrentan los estudiantes puertorriqueños en el sistema educativo de EU? ¿Y como resultado de esos retos y privilegios cual sería tu consejo para los jóvenes que desean mudarse para continuar sus estudios en EU?
- How has COVID-19 impacted on the educational system in the State of Florida and according to your observations, how do you see the future? Provide concrete news coverage samples and your experiences.
¿Cuál ha sido el impacto del COVID-19 en el sistema educativo de la Florida y como se proyecta el futuro según tus observaciones? Provee ejemplos concretos de las coberturas en las noticias y de tu experiencia.
- In which ways can the Puerto Rican community directly influence legislative decisions developed at the local and State levels that impact on education?
¿De qué manera la comunidad puertorriqueña puede influir directamente en las decisiones legislativas que influyen en la educación de la Florida a nivel estatal y a nivel local?
- The use of vaccines in the U.S. has been controversial including in educational institutions. Establish a comparison that include the reasons why some people oppose and others support them. Do you believe in the proliferation of vaccines or not and why?
El uso de la vacuna en EU ha causado controversia y hasta las escuelas han provisto de las mismas. Establece una comparación de las razones por la cuales algunos se oponen y otros las promueven. ¿Crees que debe proliferarse el uso de las vacunas o no y por qué?
- What are the educational challenges faced by Puerto Rican and Latino youth in Florida and what solutions can be developed to minimize them? Describe how the solutions can positively impact the State of Florida.
¿Qué retos enfrentan actualmente los jóvenes puertorriqueños y latinos en la educación de la Florida y que soluciones se pudieran crear para minimizarlos? ¿Qué impacto positivo puede tener estas soluciones en el estado?
Please Note: In addition to individuals not meeting the above criteria, the following individuals and members of their immediate families are ineligible for the awards:
- Relatives of FLPRP Board
- Relatives or employees of any partner, sponsors or affiliates of
WHEN TO APPLY?
Qualified candidates may apply until March 11th 2022. Candidates must complete the application form and all of its components before the deadline. Deadline extensions and incomplete applications will not be accepted and will be disqualified.
HOW TO APPLY
Candidates are responsible for gathering and submitting all required information. This is a competitive program. Applications will be evaluated on the basis of the information supplied. Applications are to be returned to the email provided in our website scholarship link.
HOW ARE RECIPIENTS SELECTED?
Applicants will be evaluated on their academic and leadership qualities in school, workplace, and community. Semifinalists will be notified by email and a phone call. This is a competitive program and all applicants will not be selected as semifinalists and not all semi-finalists will receive a scholarship.
Semifinalists will be required to submit the following documents within 7 days’ notification of their selection:
- The current complete transcript of high school, college, or university grades;
- Nomination form completed by a teacher or academic counselor, or a high school principal.
- For college students – professor or counselor can complete the nomination
DETAILS ABOUT THE AWARDS
- Awards will be granted each year
- Awards will not exceed $2,000 each year
- Awards may be renewable and used for a period of no more than two consecutive years
- Awards are for undergraduate and graduate studies and may be used for education-related expenses, including tuition, fees, books, supplies, room, and board.
- Recipients are responsible for taxes that may be assessed against the scholarship award. Applicants should consult a tax advisor or IRS Publication 970 for more guidance.
HOW AND WHEN SCHOLARSHIPS ARE PAID?
- Checks will be issued at the Puerto Rican Parade Gala/Scholarships awards presentation.
- Checks are made payable to the student.
- Recipients must submit a completed Scholarship Acceptance Form before checks are processed.
- Recipients are required to notify FLPRP of any change in address, school enrollment or other relevant information and to send a complete transcript when requested.
- Recipients will be invited to attend the gala/scholarship awards ceremony; guests are welcome at a discounted cost.
- Recipients must enroll as full or part-time undergraduate or graduate student and continue for the entire academic year without interruption unless approved by the FLPRP.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
FLPRP reserves the right to review the conditions and procedures of this scholarship program and to make changes at any time, including termination of the program.
Join us on April 21st, 2022 as we celebrate the annual Gala Awards Dinner! This year parade and festival is dedicated to the beautiful and historic Municipality of Ponce. We will savor a delicious traditional dinner while enjoying entertainment provided by special guests from our beloved Puerto Rico! In addition to the Ponce dedication we are honoring educational professionals that have excelled at their roles. Don’t miss out on this highly anticipated night!
Date: Thursday, April 21, 2021
6 pm Reception
7 pm Awards Dinner and Scholarships Presentations
Location: DoubleTree by Hilton at SeaWorld 10100 International Drive, Orlando FL 32821
Tickets: $125 per person at the website ($4 transaction fee will be added to payments made through Pay Pal)